Sunday, November 28, 2010

Waiting Game

I'm somewhere in the middle of two distinct realities. It's a strange place to be in: to know as surely as I know that night follows day, that life is about to change again from "before" to "after".
I knew this feeling when I was pregnant the first time. I knew that I'd draw a line in the sand and say this was the way it was. Back then. Before the baby arrived. And this is how it is now. That feeling is nothing new, except that I've somehow deceived myself into believing that since I've been through it once already, I somehow know the outcome this time as well.

Which is completely ridiculous. Life doesn't give you a plan book with details on circumstances with set outcomes, like a math formula or a verb conjugation (though I'd no doubt feel comfortable living life through those conjugations!) Life is best lived through faith and wonder, and I am clinging to both as I wait. There's nothing else that I can do. I tell everyone that I'm "in denial" about life after this pregnancy--even though in a previous post I chided pregnant women for not thinking past Labor Day to what life would be like with a newborn--I just can't seem to follow my own advice on this one. Guilty as charged. The only thing that seems real right now is where I am right now. I'm 38 + weeks pregnant with a nameless Baby #2 who is unidentified (to us!) by gender. I carry around this weight within me and feel all extremes between exhiliration to utter exhaustion. I feel a sweet sentimentality toward my precious Angelica, who at 2 1/2, is entering her final days as our Only Child. I want to stay in this in-between place just a little longer and savor the not knowing of what's to come.

I love hearing her proudly exclaim that she's going to be a big sister. And her laying her head on my belly to "listen" to the baby, or bringing her favorite musical stuffed dog to "sing"
to the baby. Or...the memory of us being in the middle of grocery shopping when she turned her gaze from my mid-section to my face, saying: "Mommy, your baby is getting really BIG!" They are precious moments to me.

Yet at the same time I continue to check every day off as one more day closer to Labor Day. And I can't quite keep my mind off of the subject for more than a minute at a time.

It's a strange place to be in, this hazy space between then and what's-not-quite-to-come. I know I will look back on it and say If I even had a clue of what this new reality would be like! But somehow I feel content in this place, sensing the change slowly coming in my own soul as this new life gets closer and closer to revealing itself to us and changing residence from my womb to my heart.

2 comments:

  1. Precious, simply precious. I love the line, "Life is best lived through faith and wonder." and the last line brought tears. Beautiful post!

    ReplyDelete
  2. A beautiful post. You write your feelings and ponders so well. I had to close my eyes as I pondered the last line.."changing residence from my womb to my heart". I enjoyed the wonderful reality and the perfect beauty of this creation experience! It also made me think about Hope's birth mom. I can picture her pregnant belly carrying my heart. I received my heart because Hope's birth mom, Zebalina, gave her heart to me!!!!!

    I am so excited for you Melissa. I know most people would say that. But coming from a person, like me , who has never experienced the gift of carrying a child and giving birth, you just can't imagine the depth of the excitement that I have for your family to be given this great privilege from GOD!

    Praise HIM because HE is good all the time !!!!!

    PLease keep me posted...I will be in town for a while as it stands right now!! If I can do anything let me know. I can bring over some meals and I can clean for you. Please let me know how I can help!!!

    Love you all much,
    Rachael

    ReplyDelete

Followers